Dr. (Mrs.) K. Sarala
Head, Division of Crop Improvement
Division of Crop Improvement,
ICAR-Central Tobacco Research Institute,
Rajahmundry-533 105. Phone (Mobile): 9849726890
Email Address: email@example.com
Employment Record •
• Principal Scientist at CTRI, Rajahmundry (2008 -Till date) • Senior Scientist at CTRI, Rajahmundry (2000 -2008)
• Scientist(sr. scale) at CTRI, Rajahmundry (1997-2000)
• Scientist at CTRI, Rajahmundry (1993-1997)
• Scientist (on probation) at IARI, New Delhi (1993)
• Scientist (on probation) at NAARM, Hyderabad (1992-1993)
Area of Interest Plant biotechnology, breeding, genetics and cyto-genetics
1. Sarala, K., Rao, R.V.S., Murthy, T.G.K. and Satyavani, J.V.R. (2008). Micropropagation of sterile and non-flowering Nicotiana lines. Cytologia 73 (1): 9-13.
2. Sarala, K., Nagarajan, K., Murthy, N.S., Anuradha, M., Siva Raju, K., Ravisankar, H., Narayanan, A.I. and Prasannasimha Rao, G.S.B. (2005). Yield improvement in black soil Virginia tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.). Indian J. genetics and Plant Breeding 65 (1): 33-36.
3. Sarala, K. and Rao, R.V.S. (2008). Genetic Diversity in Indian FCV and Burley Tobacco Cultivars. Journal of Genetics 87 (2): 159-163.
4. Sarala, K., Nageswara Rao, K. and Murthy, N.S. (2002). Performance of tobacco lines under polyethylene glycol created water stress in tissue culture. Tobacco Research 28 (1): 79-82.
5. Sarala, K. and Sharma, B. (1994). Additional information on the linkage of genus apu and uni of Pisum sativum L. Pisum Genetics 26: 28.
6. Sarala, K., Nagarajan, K. and Murthy, N.S. (2008). Genetic Base and Diversity of Indian Traditional Black Soil Virginia Tobacco Cultivars. Tobacco Research 34: 21-28.
7. Ravisankar, H., Sarala, K. and Murthy, T.G.K. (2012). Knowledge-based system for rainfed natu tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) germplasam. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 82 (8): 702–5.
8. Sarala, K. and Ravisankar, H. (2013). Explant autonomy in Indian tobacco cultivars under in vitro. Access. International Journal of Agricultural Science 1 (3): 30-36.
9. Sarala, K., Narasimharao, C.V. Murthy, T.G.K., Swamy, A.V.S.R. and Prabhakararao, K. (2012). JS-62 and JS-117: high yielding and low tar FCV tobacco lines. Tobacco Research 38 (2): 86-89.
10. Sarala, K., Venkateswarlu, P. and Murthy, T.G.K. (2013). Development of tobacco somaclones from leaf curl virus infected leaves and their characterisation. Tobacco Research 39 (1): 41-48.
• National Merit Scholarship from Government of India-1981-87 • APAU Junior Research Fellowship from Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University -1987-89
• IARI Senior Fellowship from IARI, New Delhi -1989-92
• ISTS Gold medal for best paper presentation- 2000.
• Tobacco Board Award for outstanding contribution in tobacco research for the triennium 2002-05
• Fellow award-2012 by Society of Applied Biotechnology
• Plant biotechnologist award-2014 by Society for Education and Scientific Research
• ‘Certificate of felicitation’ for the phenomenal and worthy oral presentation by OMICs publishing group and Editors, USA.
• Member Board of Studies of Government College (Autonomous), Rajahmundry during 2008-2015
• Member Board of Studies of Adikavi Nannaya University, Rajahmundry for M. Sc. (Botany, zoology and Biotechnology).
• Executive member, Indian Society of Tobacco Science for the period 2007-09 and 2011-13