CTRI central library was established in 1950 to assist the researchers at the Main Institute and at its Regional Stations located at different places viz. Guntur (AP), Kandukur (AP), Jeelugumilli (AP), Vedasandur (Tamilnadu), Hunsur (Karnataka), Dinhata (W.B.), and for Burley Tobacco Research Centre (BTRC) at Kalavacharla in carrying out the R&D in different types of tobacco.
- To procure published/unpublished literature on tobacco and other related subjects.
- To index and abstract the selected information available in journals.
- To prepare retrospective annotated bibliographies on different subjects.
- To provide reference and referral services and CD ROM Databases searches.
- To provide reprographic and binding services.
To provide user training programmes to scientists and others in utilising of library resources and services.
Library acquired so far 13,554 books, 12,132 bound volumes of journals, Annual Reports of ICAR Institutes and Universities, 3,045 Reports/technical bulletins, Newsletters from ICAR Institutes/Universities
Documents were categorized into different subjects. At present, library is receiving 70 periodicals (67 Indian and 3 foreign).
DTP system was established in the library in 1996. Different software’s such as Page Maker, MS Office, Free Handi Telugu, Anu fonts and Photoshop are loaded in the system. DTP is used in the preparation of different publications of CTRI such as Annual Reports, CTRI News, Books, Bulletins, Reports, Hand-outs etc. Computerization of library activities and functions are completed. The following bibliographic databases are created on Macintosh system.
- Back volumes of Journals available in the library.
- Articles published by CTRI and its Regional Stations and AINRP(Tobacco) centres
- Indian Tobacco Literature from 1986-2010
CORESTA CD-ROM on tobacco is available for tobacco literature searches.